The annual Don’t Guess…Soil Test! program, co-sponsored by Michigan State University Extension, Michigan Water Stewardship Program, Southeastern Oakland County Water Authority and local retailers is now available through Sunday, May 1, 2011.
Through this program, gardeners can obtain a soil nutrient and organic matter analysis through the Michigan State University Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab for the special price of $19.00 per sample. The price includes delivery of the soil sample to the MSU laboratory as well as a customized fertilizer recommendation.
Gardeners should consider having their soil tested to identify nutrients already in the soil and identify appropriate fertilizer options. Without a soil test, fertilizer application on the lawn or garden is guesswork. Over-application of fertilizers wastes money, can reduce plant quality and can pollute local lakes and rivers.
Soil testing kits are now available at the following retailers:
- MSU Extension office, 2nd floor of the North Office Building – 26East- Pontiac
- Auburn Oaks- Rochester Hills
- Bordine Nursery- Rochester Hills & Clarkston
- English Gardens- West Bloomfield & Royal Oak
- Four Season’s Garden Center, Berkley
- Glenda’s Garden Center- Novi,
- Goldner Walsh- Pontiac
- Hamilton’s of Ortonville
- Wojo’s Greenhouse- Ortonville and Lake Orion
- Mulligan’s Landscape and Garden Center-White Lake
- Oxford Farm and Garden-Oxford
- Shades of Green- Rochester Hills
- Telly’s Greenhouse & Garden Center, Troy
- Uncle Luke’s Feed Store, Troy
Further information and instructions on how to take a sample can be found at www.oakgov.com/msu.